Boating and Travel

Saturday, March 19, 2011

We'll get to Venice... Someday

We left Riposto this morning to stop in a town on the east coast of Italy. Not even sure what the name of it is.. A pit stop on the way to Venice. The captain likes to break the trip up, so instead of saililng for 2 or 3 days straight we stop in ports each day along the way. Since we're not sailing at night this makes the trip longer, allows us to see more cities but Andrew would rather be out at sea for longer periods of time. He's getting quite a bit of experience behind the wheel! I watch him in the captain's chair hitting the buttons and knobs that I'm deathly afraid of hitting each day when I dust in the pilot house. It looks easy enough but I still have no interest in taking on watches on my own. Pretty sure I could find something to run into even in the middle of the ocean.

Oh, back in Riposto the owners took the crew along with them to see Mount Etna, an active volcano. Jacque drove a huge van with the 6 of us up the mountain. The roads here are windy and make NO sense to a tourist like me so we rely on GPS most of the time, but with 6 people in the car there are so many opinions flying around as to which road to take. Left! Right! No another right! It was nuts. But we made it and it was one of the most awesome things. The temperature was at least 30 degrees colder at the top, lots of snow, and actually a pretty large ski resort. We climbed the volcano and took a sled with us to sled to the bottom.

Well, that's all for tonight, off to bed.
B

2 comments:

  1. Andrew, when do I get a ride with you as caption?

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well father hopefully someday I can take you out on a boat we own, is 35ft big enough? Or I'll just keep working to drive someone elses boat ;)

    ReplyDelete